Monday, September 22, 2008

Zane's Trace and Hope -- Hope Chronicles 65

When I was in the fourth grade, I took Ohio history. At some point, I was sharing with my grandfather about Zane's Trace. Zane's Trace was reportedly the first road through the wilderness. But my grandfather had a surprise for me. Zane's Trace was the country road right out front. He took all of the grandchildren down a mile or two to a marker noting this historic fact. Zane's trace came into being because a few walked or rode a path through the wilderness. Others followed. Now, there is a highway.

We live in a world of tragedy and despair. It's all around us: school shootings, 9/11, the need for "Homeland Security," the economy, the worry about tomorrow. Okay, I worry about tomorrow. There are bills to pay and relationships to try to build and maintain. I even worry about the cats. Both of my cats are healthy and likely to live long lives -- possibly another 12-14 years because they are indoor cats. But still, occasionally, I catch myself with the thought, "What if something happened to one of them." Given their health, it's a worry without need.

Jesus tells us not to worry about tomorrow. In Matthew 6:13 He says "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Sound advice. Take care of today and leave tomorrow for itself.

But this takes discipline and walking out hope. For hope for a brighter tomorrow (heaven and being in the presence of God's glory) is what eventually awaits all who believe.

Hope is like Zane's Trace. Lin Yutang said the following about hope:

"Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence."


How will you walk in hope today? Can you put off the worry about tomorrow and live in the moment? Or if you do look ahead, can you see God's promised glory? If you walk in hope your attitude will change and those around you might just follow.




PS: Click here to go to the contest I'm running!

Photobucket

1 comment:

Joyful said...

Amy, I so needed to be reminded of this verse tonight. I just finished sending an e-mail to a friend in a panic about something I have to do tomorrow - but you have reminded me that God's Word tells me not to worry about tomorrow. So....I am going to claim this Word and trust Him.

Thank you for speaking to my heart tonight,
Joy