Sunday, March 15, 2009

Just an Observation

I worked today at Barnes and Noble doing customer service. A little boy about 5 or 6 came up to the desk and asked us to page his mom since he couldn't find her. (Unfortunately, this is a common thing. People think the store is safe since it is a bookstore and let their children browse in totally different sections of the store. Don't get me started on this....) While we were waiting for his mom to show up, David and I engaged him in a conversation.

"What do you want to be when you grow up? President?"

Giggle.

"I know -- a baseball player."

He shook his head.

"Let me think. Hmm. I'm thinking you want to be a Jedi Master."

Big eyes. "Yeah!" He pretended to hold a light saber.

"How do you think I knew that? Think I'm psychic?"

"You READ MY MIND!"

"Nope." I winked at him. "I read your shirt. It's got Star Wars all over it."

I tend to have difficulty with small talk -- unless it is with small children. But the interaction today got me thinking. Maybe the key is observation. Even adults give us clues as to what they are interested in. So, maybe tomorrow will be an observation day.




Photobucket

No comments: