Sunday, May 17, 2009

What's Your Other Name?



The other day I was putting some medicine on Katy (one of my cats). She didn't squirm or anything like that, so I was telling her what a good girl she was. Hadley, who is in puppy obedience, came bounding into the room. She'll come sometimes when she is called, but it isn't 100% yet. So, her sudden appearance took me by surprise. Then it dawned on me. I thought, perhaps, she was responding to the phrase "good girl." You see, "Good girl" is often followed by a treat.

I know it may sound silly, but on days where I work both jobs, I take Hadley to doggy daycare. It's $6.25 and wears her out. I can then go to my evening job without too much guilt. I told Rose, one of the people working there that Hadley's second name was "Good girl."

Later that day, she was trying to get all the dogs on leashes and Hadley decided to play keep away. She called her several times without luck. She then opted to try "Good girl!" Hadley was there in a flash.

It's cute and funny, but it also got me thinking. Is there a word or phrase that you always respond to? Do you have a second name like my sweet Hadley?

It's not a name or phrase for me. But sometimes, there is a still, small tug in my soul. I don't respond to it 100%. I wish I did. But it always feels like God tugging on my soul to get my attention. Just like Hadley responding to "Good girl," there is always some "treat" or measure of peace when I respond to that tug.

How do you hear God?




Photobucket

No comments: