Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Little Good News

I'm going to date myself, but back when I was in high school, Anne Murray (a country singer my mom listened to) had a song out about "a little good news." It hypothesized what it would be like to wake up and find that the only thing the papers had to report was good news. It was idyllic.

There are so many things going on around the world with Haiti being at the forefront right now.

Then there is the economy. Are we recovering or not?

And there is politics. Every politician blames his opponent.

I talked to a friend last night. Her mom died in November. While she is managing that, she shared with me that a friend had passed 3 weeks later leaving 19 and 17 year old daughters without extended family. Another one of her friends had a child try to commit suicide over Christmas. Thankfully, she wasn't successful.

I feel weighted down with things. I could add to the list my own bad news items. But, I want to try something different. Let's list a few good news items. I'll start and if you want to participate, leave a little good news (big or small) along with your email address so I can contact you. Sunday, I'll use the random number generator to pick someone to win a $10 gift certificate. It doesn't have to be big -- just something that you feel is good news!

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! A Little Good News!

  • I spent a good 15 minutes to half hour laughing today.
  • It's cold outside but I am warm inside.
  • My cats have yet to figure out how to tip the new water bowl system. (Click here)
  • Hadley had her vet check up recently. She is happy and healthy and I'm teaching her to rollover.
  • Everyone was at work today! People have been in and out a lot -- sick, weather, whatever. Today, everyone was there!




Photobucket

2 comments:

Joyful said...

Great idea Amy!!! The other day I was sharing with someone that my mind couldn't even focus on what has happened in Haiti because of the personal 'earthquakes' in and and around me. What a great idea to turn out attention to the 'good'.

Do you know, the Lord woke me this morning with the word, "thankful" on my mind. I then opened my devotional and the title was "thankfulness"! Good news certainly makes one thankful, so this theme is just continuing in my heart today.

OK...so for some good news in my life and home:
-Dad is doing amazing!!! Such answered prayer. A walking miracle after last years trials.
-my son truly did his best at his piano exam a few days ago
-the weather sounds like it's going to be perfect for the women's event at our church this Saturday - YAH!!
-for the last week the Lord is helping me daily choose to be brave and walk in faith not fear
-my son received acceptance to the University of his choice, with the eligability of a lovely scholarship
-results from health concerns that were worrying me came back clear
-my husband still is employed after a company shake-up
-the Lord loves me, and I am precious and honoured in His sight :)

You know what Amy? When we stop to focus on the good...it's there...as the quote from "Pollyanna" always reminds me, if we look for the good, we will always find it.

Thanks for this wonderful refocus today.
Hugs,
Joy
PS. Anne Murray is a Canadian! :) I've grown up listening to her music too!

Lysa TerKeurst said...

I just got some great news. My daughter has been having severe migraine headaches so the doctor ordered a CT scan.

The results just came back and everything is clear.

Praising the Lord!

So glad to see so much joy in your list. Hope you are having a great day my friend~

Blessings,
Lysa