Thursday, July 31, 2008

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

My warm, sun loving body is cringing at this moment. A coworker announced yesterday that Hobby Lobby has their Christmas stuff out. Another confirmed that JCPenny is putting out their fall stuff -- cold weather stuff.

Please, it is only July 31st. Can't we put off the thoughts of cold weather a bit longer? I know I live in central Illinois and it will come sooner rather than later, but it's July.

I remember when the Christmas season didn't come until the day after Thanksgiving. I'm not ready for cold weather. I'm not ready for the hustle and bustle of the season. I'm not ready for the flowers to go away or the snow to come. (Though, if you want to know, I think a snow blower would be at the top of my Christmas wish list. But, I haven't made that. Yet, I think it would be up there.) I'm just not ready for it all.

But it did remind me of a church musical I was in while in sixth grade. It was called, Christmas in July. The point was that Jesus needs to be celebrated all year round.

So, I may not be ready for all the trimmings, but it raises a good question. Am I ready for Jesus on a daily basis? His message, His presence, His power should not be constrained to December 25th. I should stand in awe that He would chose to come at all to this earth every day of the year -- including July 31st!




Photobucket

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to explain why we put out our Christmas items so early.

In our business model, we begin setting our Christmas and Fall departments by June 1st. This is for many reasons, and we have done this for the last 14 years. The early shipment allows us to meet the needs of our designers and display merchandisers that have to shop early. We also supply many items to our crafting customers who make and sell items for “Craft Shows” during the months of September through December. They need these items early in order to make what they sell.

Thank you for letting me respond to your concerns. Thank you for shopping at Hobby Lobby.

Wayne Huffling
Customer Service Manager

Amy L Brooke said...

Dear Mr. Huffling,

Thanks for taking time to read. I didn't mean it as a slight to Hobby Lobby. I appreciate their Christian values -- like being closed on Sunday. But I still hate feeling rushed into the season. It seems that retail has it come earlier and earlier every year. Not just retail. A radio station in town started playing nonstop Christmas music two weeks before Thanksgiving. There are only so many renditions of Jingle Bells that a girl can take.

The heart of the post was suppose to be that Jesus should be celebrated all year round and not just in December. Sadly, I think that our culture only considers Him then. Even Christians can let Him become marginalized the rest of the time.

Thanks for reading. I don't know if you will catch my response or not.

Amy

Joyful said...

Oh that my heart would always have room for Christ every day of the year. I never want to pack Him away with the tree and decorations.

Living with and for Him every day of the year,
Joy