Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Thief

I finally feel like I'm coming into a good patch again in terms of the depression. But I wanted to share with you something I wrote last week. I was really struggling with seeing it as a failure even though a lot of it could be traced to a med change that was financially related. Still, I felt like a failure. I decided to journal one day about why depression is not a failure. I thought I would share it with you.

Depression is a thief. That is the best description of it. It sneaks into a person’s life and it steals energy, enthusiasm, joy, self-confidence . . . . It hampers relationships and can be a hindrance to work. More than anything depression steals hope. It makes me believe that tomorrow is as dark as today and that it will never get better. It taunts me, shouting at times that it will always be like this, I will never get fully better, and because of that I am a failure of great proportions.

Depression is a thief. But it is also a liar. I must choose ways to find ways to shine truth on those lies. I must fine a way to have the courage to believe:

· Depression is an illness. There is a biological component to it.

· Like any illness it needs treatment. No one would tell a heart attack victim not to go to the hospital.

· I am not defined by depression unless I choose to let it define me. But I choose to be defined by hope and love and faith and not depression and desperation.

Dale Carnegie said, “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed no hope at all.” I am important. I must keep trying. Perhaps something unexpected and wondrous will come from all these years of effort. I choose hope.







Don't forget to enter the contest. All you have to do is leave a comment about a way in which you are showing what matters to HIM matters to you. Click the world to go to the original post, but comments here will be accepted as well.

Photobucket

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow amy,
this was good. really good.
I can't see through my tears right now...
Thank you for sharing your hurt and heart, and what you wrote.
Heather

Joyful said...

Amy, I was writing very similar thoughts just yesterday - only in regards to fear stealing my life.

Thanks for your open, honest sharing.

Praying for you,
Joy

Pat N Fl said...

Amy,

There are so many things that Satan is trying to use to steal our Joy and hope since he can't steal our salvation. Thank you for not allowing him to use depression to steal yours. And thank you for being willing to share your experiences with us.

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I don't know if you will get any traffic from my site out of it. But because this post moved me so much, I put a signpost on my site, directing people to this post...
Yes, it is that good.
Thank you,
Heather

Carol said...

Amy, I came by to say thank you for your comments and support. I then got caught up in this post. It's so open, and something that so many people need to hear.

I've meet women who suffer from deppression, and think they are failures. They are so far from failures. The enemy is a liar and a theif and this is one his favorite tools, telling you that you are a failure.

You are a child of God and to Him you are beautiful.

I'm praying for you.

Love,
Carol

LynnSC said...

Amy,
This is such an awesome post. You are exactly right in your description of depression. I, too, have suffered with depression for at least the past 14 years. It started with post-partum depression... but never went away.

There are so many Christian women that suffer with this... but we have allowed satan to convince us that if we were "real Christians" this would not be a problem. So... we keep it to ourselves and just pretend that it doesn't exist. The thing is... when we keep something in secret... it puts us in more bondage than if we just let others know. A constant fear that someone will find us out. Thanks so much for being so real and honest. God will use it, I can promise.
Lynn

Joyful said...

Amy, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

This is a great post!
Continuing in prayer for you,
Joy

Kimberly said...

Amen. This is wonderful! May God use your openness and honesty to help lead women to the truth of His love!

Blessings! Isn't it exciting to think He will use your obedience to share about this to reach women on the radio? Awesome!

:)

Anonymous said...

I came here via Lysa's picks. So glad I did.

Thank you for sharing such deep thoughts.

Rena Gunther

Amy Jo said...

Wanted to stop by and congratulate you on being chosen by Renee for her radio show! How exciting! I pray God uses your post to bless, encourage and FREE others from depression. Sweet blessings, Amy in OR

Sandy @ The Scoop on Balance said...

Just wanted to pop over and say congrats on Renee choosing you. How wonderful for all the people who will be impacted by your post.

God bless you!!!
Sandy Cooper
www.godspeakstoday.blogspot.com

Sandy @ The Scoop on Balance said...

Oh...and as one who has also struggled with depression, I say a big "AMEN".

Sandy Cooper

Lora said...

The enemy is just up to the same old tricks isn't he? Thank you for sharing and congrats on your Lisa T win!
Warmly,
Lora