Monday, April 6, 2009

Pass It On

This past Christmas I ventured into new territory in my gift giving. I love giving gifts, but sometimes it is really hard to know just the right gift for the right person. Yes, you can always give gift cards. I do that sometimes. But I prefer the gifts I give to have more thought behind it. Though at times, a gift card is the thing with a lot of thought behind it.

This past Christmas, I gave a friend's family two things -- 3 flocks of chickens and a child. That is to say, I gave a gift on their behalf sponsoring 2 flocks of starter chicks through Heifer International and money to Compassion International's unsponsored children's fund.

I've given to Compassion for awhile now, but this was my first involvement with Heifer. One of the things I liked about it was that once a family has received a gift, they are expected to give back by passing on some of the fruit of that gift to another family. I love the idea that the investment in those chicks will be passed on and on. Who knows, maybe some will end up in the hands of one of the children I sponsor through Compassion.

I don't know if you are a Survivor fan or not. But this week there will be a spotlight on the show about Heifer. I don't know how long it will be, but I think it is neat that Survivor is doing that. So, even if you don't normally watch, think about taking a peek on Thursday.

If you want to know more through info on the internet, click here.




Photobucket

No comments: