Thursday, October 16, 2008

Resting -- Hope Chronicles 72

I recently took this picture of Katy. I love it. The amazing thing is that she didn't even stir when I took it. Yes, I was trying to be quiet so I could capture the moment, but I thought the whir of the camera and the flash would wake her. If it did, she didn't let me know about it.

In some ways this is a picture of trust to me. Katy was sprawled out on one of our favorite and softest blankets. Mali was nearby, but Katy still spread out. She often doesn't do this when Mali is near because Mali is a pouncer.

One thing to know about cats is that they often take awhile to warm up to you. Staring directly at a cat may seem aggressive. Sometimes, that is why cats choose to go to those who ignore them. The go on their own terms.

They also do not often show their bellies. No, it is not a self-conscious thing. Rather it is self-protection. It's harder to escape from a prone position and their bellies are vulnerable spots. So, either this blanket was too inviting to pass up or Katy was trusting enough of me and Mali to relax into the softness.

This is a picture of rest -- relaxing even in the midst of something hard. I think of Psalm 23. God makes the write lie down in green pastures but then go through the valley of the shadow of death. In the end, God provides a banquet in the presence of the writer's enemies. I always wondered about this. But someone explained it once that once someone entered that person's house, they were under their protection. Thus, they could relax and enjoy the feast. Or in Katy's case, stretch out on the softest blanket around because she knew she was safe.

Do I rest in God like that? Do I stretch out and show Him my tender places? I long to say "Yes" but I know there are times when I am too busy protecting myself rather than letting Him protect me that I do not fully relax into Him.

Where there is trust there is rest. Where there is trust there is hope because we know that a feast awaits even in the presence of enemies. There is hope because God has called us his.






Photobucket

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy,
this was so good...

"Do I rest in God like that? Do I stretch out and show Him my tender places? I long to say "Yes" but I know there are times when I am too busy protecting myself rather than letting Him protect me that I do not fully relax into Him."

I love what you wrote here. I too get busy trying to protect myself rather than let Him protect me. I can't relax into him.
A situation came up the other day that only now is starting to bother me, and I find that I am much more concerned with protecting myself from the emotions and upset that I know is going to come out. I just really don't want to go there. And I know that God does. and I know that he will protect me.
but to let go and trust and let him see the tender parts...
that is hard.

Thank you for this post!
God bless,
Heather

Laura said...

So cute, Amy! I just love the way a cat can do some sleeping! You make me think...Do I stretch out like that under God's care? Hmmm. Maybe not as often as I should. Stretching...

Joyful said...

Interesting facts about cats - especially how they will go to the people who ignore them. I'm not a real animal lover, and yet animals come to me...maybe that's why.

Self-protection is far too often my route. To completely and totally rest in God - WOW. That means nothing would be making me uptight or fearful or anxious - complete and total trust.

I want to sing with the hymn writer, "Jesus I am resting in the joy of what Thou art, I am finding out the greatness of Thy loving heart."

Blessings,
Joy