Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Owen and Mzee

(Photo from Wikipedia)


Cute, capturing photo, huh? It's a great true story. I found two books about Owen and Mzee at the bookstore. Basically, baby hippo gets swept down stream and is rescued and taken to Haller Park in Kenya. He's put in the same habitat as Mzee the grumpy 130 year old tortoise. (At 130 he might have something to be grumpy about and then they toss a baby in with him!) Owen is just one or two and scared and lonely. He takes to following old Mzee around, hiding behind him when scared, and resting beside him when tired. They become an inseparable pair. (They have their own website)


I bought one of the books for a friend and her girls. A mutual friend called me December 2006. Allison and the girls had just moved to town that fall. My friend wanted to know if I would mind her giving Allison my name so she and her father could do a little Christmas shopping for the girls.


I went and spent the morning in the midst of high fashion, glitter glue, and sand art which is not for the feint of heart. Sunday morning when the girls saw me at church, they barreled into me. I loved getting such an enthusiastic greeting.


I spent a lot of time with Allison and the girls last spring and summer. Life has been topsy-turvsy for them since late last summer. Two weeks ago, I found out that they are moving some time in the next week.


I gave them a book as a reminder of my friendship and care for them. At the end of the book it remarks, that there will always be a friend around when you need one. All three have been good friends for me. I know God is preparing new friends for them now as they move on their way. But mostly, I know that God has them nestled in the palm of His hand.


I hate goodbyes, but I think I might get to spend some time with the girls on Saturday. I hope so. It would be good to have one last go around at the playground and some popsicles before they go.


God provides friends in all shapes and sizes. Just ask Owen and Mzee . . . .





Free Image Hosting

2 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

If you're reading this MeMe (from Evan's Garden) then tag, You're it!

Here are the rules for this one:
1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.



My closest book: STREAMS IN THE DESERT, L. B. Cowman
Page 123, 5th-8th sentences:

Let us remember that no earthly circumstances can hinder the
fulfillment of God's Word.
We must look steadfastly at His immutable Word and not at the uncertainty of this ever-changing world.
God desires for us to believe His Word without other evidence, and then He is ready to do for us according to our faith."

Laura said...

That is a great story. I will share with my kiddos!