Thursday, April 17, 2008

Hope That's Hard To See -- Hope Chronicles 34

I have never been good at trust falls. If you don't know what those are, it is where you perch backwards to a group of people and then fall (flat as a board -- it is important not to sit) into their out stretched arms. As a group, they will catch you.

Perhaps I should be even more honest. I've never been able to actually accomplish one. It doesn't matter who is doing the catching or the encouragement of the the crowd, I cannot make myself fall backwards into their arms. I'm also quite sure that I couldn't do it face forward either!

However, I feel like life is one big trust fall at the moment. It is now over 6 weeks of not sleeping well. I'm tired and it's hard to focus. I really just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Life seems riddled with conflict from various sources. Finances are a mess. Don't even get me started on taxes. Yes, they were on time, but . . . . Everything in life seems to be working against me.

But that is where hope comes in. Hope is hard to see right now. It is incredibly hard to feel. But hope is more than a wish, more than a warm feeling. Hope is a found in the person of Jesus.

I've been reflecting on the two men walking on the road to Emmaus. They were distraught -- and rightfully so. But they were so focused on their loss, that they didn't recognize the risen Lord.

It seems that focusing on our circumstances does that at times. We see the trees but miss the forest. Yes, Jesus had died on the cross, but He was ALIVE and walking beside them.

God, unblind my eyes so that I can see you in the midst of all the circumstances pulling at me. Lord, you are the source of hope. Take my eyes of of the details of life and put them back on you!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, right on target with where i am at. Really need to get my eyes off myself in the midst of circumstances right now. It is too overwhelming to deal with those circumstances.. too overwhelming to even look to how i am going to get through to the end of this night...
Your prayer is my prayer. Thank you for the reminder to refocus
Heather