Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sometimes the Little Things are the Big Things

Sometimes the little things are the big things. Oh, they may look little to us, but they are big to someone else. We may do them almost flippantly (though I'm not sure that is the word I'm looking for) without knowing the profound impact they have on those around us.

About 3 weeks ago, I finished up the Financial Peace class at my church. I provided dessert that night -- chocolate chip cookies and Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie. Both were a hit. On Sunday, Mike said to me, "You should make that pie for community group." At our next group meeting, I showed up with the pie. Mike said, "You'll never know what that means that you brought that."

We didn't have time for a lengthy discussion. And part of me didn't know what to make of it because it was just pie. But the more I thought about it, the more it dawned on me that it wasn't the pie that was the important piece. The important slice was that I listened and responded appropriately.

I told someone about the rough weekend I had. It was just an emotional blur. I can't say I really know her, but yesterday she called just to see how I was doing. I would have loved to talk to her, but she ended up getting voice mail. Still, that voice mail was enough to lift my spirits a bit. I'm sure it was something little to her but it was a big thing for me.

Everyday we have the opportunity to do little things that may (unbeknown to us) be big things to someone else.


2 comments:

Laura said...

Amy, what a great reminder to be aware and attentive and follow the prodding of the Holy Spirit. It may seem little to us, but we have no idea what the impact is on others! I am going to share this with my kids!

Anonymous said...

If I had your phone number, I would sing this in your voice mail:

Why should I feel discouraged?
Why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart feel lonely
And long for heaven and home?
When Jesus is my portion,
A constant friend is He.
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches over me.
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.