Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Whimsical Side of She Speaks



Pam and I traveled together. It was so nice to have someone to travel with!



I learned lots at She Speaks. The top serious things I learned were:



  • God SEES me.



  • God sets the lonley in "families" and these gals really felt like family



  • God has given you a unique story that only you can share.





There, that is the reader's digest version.






But then there were other funny things I learned. Some I should have known.

  • Just because there are automatic toilets in the conference center as well as automatic towel dispensers DOES NOT mean that the water is automatic. You can rub your hand under the faucet as long as you want and as often as you want, but if you do not turn the handles it will not work. You will look foolish if you stand there too long. But the conference mantra was "Grace, Grace, Grace" so even if you look foolish you will still be loved.


  • Southern rule of cooking: If something tastes good, it will taste even better fried. Hences the oblong thing on my plate during lunch at the airport. I had a barbecue turkey sandwich, potatoes, and a FRIED pickle. It was actually tasty. It had a bit of a kick to it.







  • There is a 3oz rule for carry on stuff. My toothpaste was too big. Once the lady said that, we figured we just needed to check the bags 'cause I definitely hadn't packed right. So next year, She Speaks should send out a post on travel stuff -- airline rules. :-)



  • I never turn my phone off. Thankfully, someone traveling with me knew how to get it powered down and powered up!


  • If you opt to eat at a Sonic restaurant you eat outside in your car. It is only drive up. However, I do recommend their shakes.


  • I still talk in my sleep. (Grace, grace, grace from the roommates.) Happily, God must have been giving me good dreams. I was heard to exclaim (among other things), "That was just beautiful."


  • I can time myself but I cannot be timed by others. Seriously. I freaked when given the time signals. My 3 minute talk came out 2:19 because the 1 minute left signal flustered me. My 5 minute talk was 4:09 minutes. Happily, they both got good ratings. I guess I learned to wrap up quickly!


  • If you thank hotel staff, they get somewhat embarrassed.


  • Bloggers are some of the funniest people you will ever meet. Lelia is even more of a stitch in person than she is on her blog. Michelle has a sweet presence about her. Nikki is beautiful, sweet, and charming. I would love to get together to lunch with her. But NC is a bit far . . . .


  • The P31 Team Rocks! They are just a great, fun group of women who loved on us all. I hope they felt loved back! This is a picture of Leah, Wendy, and Melissa. Like the rest of the team, they worked tirelessly. I am thankful for them.





    I think I've got most of my She Speaks stuff out there, but I can't promise. I have a notebook with 3 pages full of neat things that happened at the conference! So, they might get worked in here or there.





Free Image Hosting

3 comments:

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Oh my gosh! How did we not meet up there? I am so sorry!! Wasn't it such a blessing though!! Keep serving-keep posting!

In His Graces~Pamela

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Well I would totally love to have lunch with you too!! That is so funny about the talking in your sleep thing!! I do too!! We would've been great roomates!! Who knows what we would've said! =) Maybe next time? I hope I'll get to go again. But, I don't know.

I love reading your writing anyway, but it so helps now that I "know" your voice!! Does that make sense!!

Ok, off to sleep my head is spinning. =)

Lelia Chealey said...

I really enjoyed spending time with you Amy! I told you there that your smile is in your eyes~very beautiful!
I have pics of us together & will download them & email them to you before the weekend is done. I can't wait to post all the faces I met.
God was so good to us this weekend!