Saturday, December 13, 2008

40 to 40 (Gratitude 38)

At my church we have things called Community Groups. They are our version of small groups. We meet every other week. I had kind of decided that I wasn't going and had communicated this to Debbie earlier in the week.

As I predicted, it was an extremely busy week. I worked Wed. and Thursday at B&N and I knew I was scheduled to work all day Saturday (8:45-4:00). I thought I would need the veg time with the cats.

I came home and changed and went and worked out. When I got home, I checked my email and had one from my friend Jill saying "Did you get my texts or my messages?" As I was reading it, she knocked on my door. She said something about surprising Joe and Debbie and them not knowing whatever and I shouldn't miss it.

Of course, I was highly suspect at this time, but I went. My community group and Mark and Jill had a party for me complete with a triple level chocolate cake.

The really touching part is the gift Jill put together for me. She had emailed or mailed various people in my life ranging from my student days to my InterVarsity days to the present and had compiled a book of encouraging notes.

I am grateful for all the lives it represents, the people I've intersected with throughout the years. They say that some people are only in our lives for a season. This represents many seasons in my life and are good memories. I am thankful for those memories and for each person involved. Perhaps it is eye opening for someone who feels alone so often to visibly see all those connections. I am grateful for that.




Photobucket

No comments: