Thursday, November 6, 2008

40 to 40 (Gratitude 1)

(If you don't know what "40 to 40" is, click the graphic.)

My first gratitude was easy to come by. I am thankful for my grandmother Brooke. Her name was Clara Louise Brooke. I was named for her -- Amy Louise. I love that fact.

My childhood was fairly tumultuous. My grandmother was an oasis in the midst of it. I use to will myself to wake up early and tip toe down the stairs. I would sit in the green chair where she could see me when she looked out the door from her bed. She would always get up and start making breakfast. While she made coffee cake or fried bacon I would prattle on and on about everything imaginable. I was not a talker as a child, but when I was with her I talked. She heard all about school and listened to poems I had memorized or ones that I had made up. She knew I wanted to grow up and study dolphins.

I hated it when everyone else woke up and I had to share her. But I am so grateful for those morning times I had with her. She made me feel listened to. She made me feel cared about. More than anything, she made me feel loved.





Photobucket

4 comments:

The Dementia Nurse said...

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful picture, Amy! I also had a grandmother who was a lifeline in a sea of confusion. I appreciate your reminder of the little things she did that made me feel loved.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

That is so sweet! What precious memories!!

Joyful said...

Amy I loved reading about your Grandma. My Mom's parents lived with us when I was growing up and I have such precious memories of my Nanny. She passed away when I was 12 years old and I wish I had appreciated my time with her even more. She made the best 'from scratch' French Fries. She made all my sister and my clothes by hand - no sewing machine - even our coats. She called me "Lambie" or "Lovie" and would let me crawl up next to her and hide in her bed when my Mom would call me to complete some task. She was a walking encyclopedia and could answer any question I brought home from school. She loved the Lord and she loved me. Thanks for inviting me to recall these memories tonight.

Blessings,
Joy

Debbie said...

My Nanie too is the most special person in my life. You post made me think of her and I miss her. Grandma's can have such an impact. Thanks for sharing. I will definetely be back to visit!!!


deb