Thursday, November 13, 2008

40 to 40 (Gratitude 8)

I don't know what my parents were thinking when they named me. I do know that they chose my twin's and my middle names by naming us each after a grandmother. But my parents never talked about why they named me "Amy."

When I was in junior high, I discovered that Amy means "beloved." I was actually pretty disillusioned about that because I felt anything but loved and it seemed either simple irony or some cruel joke for that to be the meaning behind my name.

But over the last several years as my roots have deepened in relation to God and through the care of others, I don't think that of my name that way anymore. I believe God is the one who prompted my parents to name me "Amy" and that He has gently whispered through my name "BE LOVED" over all these years. I'm just beginning to grasp the significance of that.





Photobucket

2 comments:

Paula V said...

I love that...Amy means beloved and God whispers to you be loved.

Precious.

Joyful said...

Amy, I believe with all my heart that God chose your name - your parents just responded to His whisper. He just wanted you to know for all your life that He truly loves you. How special is that!!!!

My parents didn't know they were having twins, so Joy was a result of the happiness of God's gift to them.

From one loved twin to another,
Joy