Friday, November 7, 2008

40 to 40 (Gratitude 2)

(Don't know what 40 to 40 is? Click the graphic to find out.)

I am grateful that while I don't have a family per say, I have had families in my life. The one that comes to mind today is the Fredericks. I spent several years on staff with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. During my time in Bloomington, IN, I had the opportunity to live with the Fredericks.

Jerry had said something about me moving in jokingly. But I was having a hard time making ends meet and was in a rough roommate situation. I got up the nerve to ask Jerry and Dana if they would consider it. We all agreed to try it out for 6 months.

I had a room down the basement and paid very minimally on a few things. In return, I helped out with the kids. When I first moved in, Jerry and Dana had Hannah and Elizabeth.


Hannah in 1996





Elizabeth in 1996


Both girls were adopted as infants. Later, they also adopted Jonathon. He was a little wild man, but I loved his spirit.



Jonathan in 1996


I loved the arrangement because it made me feel like part of a family. I was in some ways, the big sister. I did art projects with Hannah and snuggled with Elizabeth and read and read and read. With Jonathan everything was one big game.

I moved in 1996. Jerry and Dana later found out that Dana was pregnant. She gave birth to a little girl named Sarah. She was a miracle for them. I just wish I had the opportunity to know her like I did the other three!

Our six month trial turned into 3 very blessed years in my life.



Photobucket

1 comment:

Joyful said...

Hi Amy,

What a special opportunity you were given to be part of this family. I'm sure they were blessed by having you in their home.

Today I'm thanking the Lord for the brilliant mind He gave my son. We attended Commencement at his High School this afternoon and he received 3 awards! Praying he will continue to grow in wisdom and in favour with God and man.

Blessings,
Joy