Saturday, November 8, 2008

40 to 40 (Gratitude 3)

I've always thought of myself as more of a dog person. I like the way they greet you at the door and follow you around. A few years ago I had a dog for awhile. She was an older dog that I found at the Humane Society. What no one realized was that she was also an anxious dog. The more attached she became to me, the more anxious she became when I would leave. After 6 months of trying everything imaginable, I talked to the local shelter. The reassured me that even with knowing about the anxiety problem, they could find her a home.

Tearfully, I took her back and made one of the volunteers promise to bring her a treat of peanut butter on toast. (That was my breakfast most mornings and I always gave her the last bit.)

A woman at the shelter suggested I try a cat. I was skeptical, but eventually I ended up with two very dog like cats. Katy and Mali both greet me at the door. They follow me from room to room and are a general nuisance when I am on the computer. They just can't get enough lap time.

But as you can see below, they are both cats and like most cats, they love their naps.




Katy




Mali

I am grateful for having them in my lives. They help give me balance and something soft to cuddle when I'm feeling blue. If only I could take them for walks! It might help motivate me to exercise more.

Do you have a pet that helps round out your life?





Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cats. Both my cats are dozing right now. What a life, huh?

We have Boo and Bob, brother and sister black, long haired cats. Bob is the "dog." He fetches. Well, kind of. He chases the ball, catches it and then sits on it. But if you take it back and throw it again, he'll do it all over again.